Friday, March 9, 2007

Spring Break!

Spring Break began for me at 3:19 PM CST today.

Spring Break. Normally when you hear this phrase you immediately think of college students on the beach soaking up the sun. Spring Break means something a lot different to me now than it used to. When I was in grade school, spring break was simply a break from school. We would go visit family, or maybe make a trip to Galveston. In high school, spring break became more time to spend with friends, but also a short family vacation - camping in Arkansas, going to see the Alamo, visiting the state capital. In college, spring break meant I either went home, or took a trip with friends to the beach or to Disney World.

Fast forward a few years. I am now a mother to two young boys. One of my students asked me today what I was doing for spring break. I told him I was planning on sleeping and playing with my babies. "You would think that would be fun" was his response. It's true. Fun for me now is playing race cars with my 2 year old or gazing into the eyes of my 2 month old. Instead of soaking up the sun, I am soaking up the cute phrases, first smiles, and the laughter of my children. Spring break has never meant more to me than it means this year. It means I get to spend precious time with my children.

No comments: