Thursday, June 24, 2010

Road to Becoming a Runner

Three weeks ago I decided it was time for a change. I did something that I have never tried before. I got up early in the morning, went outside, and started running. I ran as long as I could, then I walked until I caught my breath and ran again. After I got home, I realized that running has certain perks to it. I felt better, had more energy, and was proud of myself for trying something new. I think I just broke out of the rut that I was in. After searching online, I found a beginner's running program called Couch to 5K. It is supposed to take someone from being inactive to running a 5K race in 9 weeks. I decided to give it a try, and so Monday, June 7th I started the program. That first week, I was afraid I would not be able to run for the 60 seconds at a time the plan called for, but I pushed myself. It was then I realized another benefit of running. In the last 3 weeks, I have found that strength that I knew I had inside that has seemed hidden for so long. The second week of training I was supposed to increase my time to running for 90 seconds at a time, followed by walking for 2 minutes and then repeating the cycle for 20 minutes. Again, I reached deep inside myself and pushed myself to complete each workout. This week marks the third week of the program, and I have completed two of the three workouts for the week. This week, I am running for 90 seconds, walking 90 seconds, running 3 minutes, walking 3 minutes, and then repeating. As the end of the week approaches, I look to week 4 and wonder if I can do it. Can I run for 5 minutes straight, while decreasing my walking time between running? I know I will have to push myself to do it, but I know that I can do it. There is something so satisfying about coming in after a run, knowing that I completed the workout. I never thought running would be something that I would enjoy, but I am beginning to.

No comments: